Saturday, October 25, 2008

WhoMadeWhoMadeCMJ

My friend M and I went to the early show at the Mercury Lounge on Wednesday to see WhoMadeWho and Fujiya & Miyagi. Long story short, WhoMadeWho completely stole the show. I really like Fujiya & Miyagi, but as I would have guessed based on the style of their music... not the most exciting live show ever. But seriously, WhoMadeWho were awesome with the killer combo of fun, funky, dancable music with great melodies and a really fun stage presence. And talk about eye candy! especially in those spandex jester outfits! Hot! I wish I took pictures. The one below is misleading, because they were not wearing the loose fitting outer layer for the show.
We were so pleased with the show that we decided to have a word with the band afterwards. There were super nice and excited to be playing NYC for the first time. Unfortunately, we didn't get to talk long because the venue needed to clear out for the late show. The Friday night 205 Club show they mentioned wasn't listed on the CMJ schedule, so I sent them a myspace message and Jeppe (guitar) put us on the guest list. Yay! The 205 Club (aka 205 Chrystie) was pretty cool. Very tiny and people packed in like sardines. WhoMadeWho put on another awesome show and the crowd was really into it (as they should be). Sadly, the band split right after their show, Tomas (bass) citing jet lag and having all of their gear in hand (it was 1am, after they had now played 3 nights in a row...). Regardless, my heart was broken. Those poor bastards (married or not) will never know what could have been.
At 205 we also so Hearts Revolution, who were pretty freaking awesome. Similar in many ways to Crystal Castles, so I was not surprised when I learned that about a year ago the two bands put out a split 6". I know I had heard their song C.Y.O.A! (awesome video below) many times, but had never really known who the group was. Needless to say, they are right up my alley so I was super stoked and pleasantly surprised when they started playing.

No comments: