Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I'll dance with you Jamie Jordan

Why New Yorkers don’t dance … its not just New Yorkers its indie music fans across the country and I was one of them. At a recent Fiery Furnaces show I was infuriated at the kid standing in front of me who would just not hold still. I was trying to SEE the show and his moving indie-fro was killing my view. What was he thinking, dancing at a show? Please just stand there like the rest of us, trying to get the best view possible, and watch the band, intently waiting for one of those magical on-stage moments (and they do appear).

I stood in line for over 2 hours to see the free Crystal Castles show at Studio B. I had really only been listening to them for a few days, but something in my gut told me, "don't give up, your gonna get it and this is gonna be worth it." It was the most fun I have had in years.


Sure, the music was great, but it was what was going on off stage that was novel to me. Just being in the middle of a crowd that was having a blast moving to the music. It made me realize what I’d been missing. When you are dancing, you pick up more of the musical aspects of the performance because you feel it. You become a part of the show, instead of just a spectator. Best of all, I completely let go and was hardly conscious of myself at all.

Then I remembered back to why I stopped dancing in the first place: Fall 2001, freshman year, my first indie rock show. I was so stoked. As soon as the band started I was dancing, really enjoying myself. It took me until about the end of the first song to realize that I was the only one moving and… I was embarrassed. Realizing it wasn't cool to dance at shows, I restrained myself to a slight swaying and bobbing. Well f that. Never again.

No comments: