Sunday, July 20, 2008

Siren Music Festival Pictures

When I arrived at the Siren Music Festival it was ~96 degrees. But if you could get past the heat, it was a beautiful day at Coney Island.
Beach balls at the Stillwell stage.
Annuals. They sounded good but didn't rock quite as much as when I saw them (a couple years ago?) at North Six. BUT, I have to admit I only stayed for three songs, so they may have really picked it up. Regardless, I would have excused them for much worse considering they had the worst time slot in terms of the heat.
I loved having the Cyclone in the background of the main stage, hearing the squeals of the people on it throughout the festival.
Times New Viking. I was really wondering how their sound was going to translate to a live show and it translated pretty well. They sounded great and it was really fun. It helped that I had a spot in the shade. Sweet!
Hot people. Shaded people. Overall, Coney Island was a really fun place to see a festival. The short walk between stages was either through the rides of Astroland, or along the boardwalk in view of the beach. Your pick!
The sand was burning me.Nobody can be bored at the boardwalk.
This is the only grass found near the festival. I think that dude is in Jaguar Love, but I didn't watch that show.
It would have been cool to see a show from the wheel. This is me watching Beach House. They sounded GREAT. The duo was accompanied by a drummer. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this show, even in a festival setting. I was also surprised that this is the first time I noticed that they remind me of Cat Power.
Islands. I went in pretty excited about this one because I really like Return to the Sea, and I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the show. However, the song Where There's a Will There's a Whalebone was pretty exciting. The rapper was amazing. Ted Leo was spinning all day at the main stage, but stayed pretty hidden.
Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks were amazing. As was well put by my brunch-mates, when they got on stage it was like "ooh, adults". These guys are professionals.

Overall, it was a great day. Thanks to the Village Voice for providing such great music for the price of $0.

1 comment:

Albo said...

Such fun! Great photosummary.