Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Crystal Castles and friends play shows

I am heartbroken that I have to miss the next NYC Crystal Castles show (October 23rd) and that their 12 show tour does not include any cities within bus distance. I highly recommend buying tickets ASAP to anyone, whether you were previously a fan or not. I can't get into how great/fun the last Crystal Castles show I went to was, it would just make me too sad. I decided the next best thing would be to check out the bands Crystal Castles has recently/is going to be playing with. Click the links to listen.

Woodhands. I caught some of these guys at the last show and they were freakin awesome. Their self described "sweaty electro glory" is very accurate and the crowd was going crazy for it. They appear to by playing a Todd P party at Silent Barn, August 16th in Queens. I guess you just show up and pay at the door? Sounds fun.
Fujiya & Miyagi. These guys are playing the Oct 23rd show with Crystal Castles. Basted on the tracks I have heard, they seem more chill than the above mentioned bands, but really cool. Maybe a little TOO cool. I am going to put on my dancing shoes and check them out Oct 22nd at the Mercury lounge (tickets not available yet).
Who Made Who. This band, also playing the Oct 23rd show, has some funk to them and while still having an electronic feel, my impression is that it is mostly live instrumentation: "a house DJ [on] drums, a Bowie-loving bassist who sings too, and an avantgarde jazz guitarist". I am hoping they're not flying over from Denmark for just one show, because from the videos on their myspace page, it looks like it would be awesome to see them live.

No comments: